Monday, February 11, 2008

Small Type

I read today a letter-to-the-editor in a magazine from a senior complaining about the type being too small to see. To me this just goes to reinforce sterotypes of seniors as dithering blind bats who want everything their way! Well, it shouldn't be that way. And on behalf of 55+ I say the type is fine. If you're eye perscription is all wrong there's no need to take it out on the world's typesetters. Otherwise we'd have huge stop signs and no parkings blocking our view of the sunset at times when it really counts that we see it. And magazines will have to be as big as newspapers, and then who knows how big a newspaper would end up. (Like a set of blueprints? Twister mat?) Too big to carry, at any rate. And as for "too big" I will say this. The buttons on phones are "too small" these days and the'res too many. Whatever happened to 1-9 and * and #. Now I have to "send" my call or "enter" it. In closing, type is okay the way it is. Seniors are too "up-tight" about vision, but our fingers ARE TOO big for tiny buttons and there is NO PERSCIRPTION that can remedy this so make the buttons big or LEAVE THEM OFF!
I'm not really sure who this message should go to, so I"m just putting it here to spark the discussion (and push a few buttons) on the HOT TOPIC!

See ya later,
Charlie Fergus

2 comments:

ELZBIETA ARYANPUR said...

I'm not so sure I like the idea of pushing anyone's buttons!

My mother always attributed by brother Amir's blindness to too much masturbation, but he always claimed he contracted syphilis from a Mongolian prostitute! I neither spoke to either of them again after that "DISCUSSION."

Amir refused to see a doctor even though Dr. Johnson is such a nice man. HE prescribed this amazing salve for my rosacea. Cleared up in no time. If you're reading the Internet Dr. Johnson--THANK YOU!

CHARLIE FERGUS said...

My "profile" picture was taken when I most needed some salve but that's all I have from Carol's digital camera!