Sunday, February 3, 2008

LETTER TO THE TORONTO SUN, RE: "LET THEM EAT...HOT DOGS" BY SUE ANN LEVY, TORONTO SUN (FEB.3)



RE: Let them eat ... hot dogs!


City council desperately wants to control our “street meats!” I think they just are making up for their lack of control over EVERYTHING ELSE in this (normally) great city!!! I for one am perfectly happy with the wonderful hot dogs you can get practically ANYWHERE in the city!! There are many varieties of wieners to be had downtown, from sausages to regular “dogs” to hot dogs made entirely of vegetables!! People should try “mixin’” up their “fixin’s” if they need to “spice” up their tasty meats!! (Though I DO NOT recommend mayonnaise as it ALWAYS looks like its gone bad sitting there, all the time!)
I think that tourists feel comfortable coming here and seeing hot dogs as the “food of choice.” It’s easy to eat and reminds them of home if they’re from our neighbours to the south! And if they’re not, then they’re in for a treat! Why would I want to come from Iraq on a “holiday” and the first thing I see are filafels! I would feel very “ripped off!!!”


-Melvin “Mel” Zdarsky


5 comments:

CHARLIE FERGUS said...

Nice post Mel, I agree that hot dogs are adequate as far as "street meat" goes. What do people want if their in a huge rush: A Gourmet Meal? There's too many pigeons and homeless around to make that enjoyable. One thing I would say is that the bacon bits are too crumbly, they always roll off MY DOG INTO THE STREET!

MELVIN ZDARSKY said...

I never pick up pennies that I drop OR "bacon nubs" because I figure if the homeless can use them, all the better!!!
-"Mel!

CARL MANNINGS said...

All of this talk of hot dogs has me hoping for some for dinner tonight! But it will probably just be meatloaf AGAIN!!!!

CHARLIE FERGUS said...

At least if its meatlof Mel might be able to top off his quart

(of private gravy)

MELVIN ZDARSKY said...

For a special treat try gravy on hot dogs!! But DON'T tell my DOCTOR!!! LOL!!!!