Wednesday, February 20, 2008

RE: HELP! Peace and Hippy Love party planning disaster

CHarlie says: Hey folks, I'm in a bit of jam! I'm planning a dinner party at the seniors residence where I live and time is running out fast! The theme for the dinner is "Peace and Love in the 1960s" and since almost all of us were grown-ups in the '60s anyway it might be fun to see what it may have been like to be young 40 years ago but today. I have suggested the theme (it hasn't been approved which is ANOTHER ehadache) but now I'm completely stuck for ideas. The only supplies I have are 5 packages of googly eyes and I can't remember if we used those back then. I'm not even sure the HIPPIES had specialty foods now that it's all set in stone: I don't know what to cook! Is there a way to make a soup out of wood stock?
Does Love, Pizza and Happiness make sense to you?

AlanB9 says: Hey, Charlie. I'll do some looking and thinking tonight and hopefully be able to help you out tomorrow. This idea is a great one and it should be super fun and actually easy once we all get thinking.
Right now all I can think of is tie-dye. Breads, cakes, etc. can be tie-dyed really easily. (That was 60's, right? Not 70's? Sorry, I wasn't born til Oct. 1969)

Be back tomorrow!!!!!

Blessmom says: I found this on ww.birthdaypartyideas.com There were other ideas under 50's and 60's parties, but thought this might be best. Also, flower power and tye dye was a common party decor and idea.
Good Luck!
We had a "Welcome to the 60s Party" for my husband's 60th birthday. Decorations and mood-setters included: a homemade collage poster of 60s people and events, a homemade, groovy welcome to the 60s sign in colorful bubble letters, burning incense, high school yearbooks, pictures and old newspapers from the 60s, most of the guests wore tie dye or went for a hippie look. One of the old newspapers was a Merced CA front page from the day after JFK was shot.
60s food included: (1) Velveeta and Ro-tel hot dip with chips and veggies, (2) chex mix, Also, Veveeta and chex mix--very 60s. My husband was completely unsuspecting and very surprised when he walked through the door. I told my hubby that we all loved him so very much that we just wanted to join him in the 60s for a day.


Charlie says: Thanks a bucnh guys, that should just about do it. Velveeta and chex it is, now it's all coming back to me, LAUGH OUT LOUD! I think it will be easy to just get some cheap make-up and paint peace signs on our feces to add to the mood. My favourite idea is to tell the guests (who are seniors) when they see all this grooby stuff "Well, you're in your 60s and 70s aren't you?" I will get Carol to make a C-D of everybody-going-surfing tunes as well.
I was able to find some stills of JFK being shot but I did decide that they may be too upsetting to have laying around during dinner, so I probably won't print them out. I don't think there's ink in the printer anyways.

Free Image Hosting at allyoucanupload.com

No comments: