Friday, December 28, 2007

(UNpublished letter to Toronto Sun) Drinking & Driving THESE Days!! (Wrong!!)


RE: RAISE A GLASS TO SOBRIETY
TORONTO SUN, DECEMBER 26, 2007

As a senior, your article about drinking and driving brought back a lot of memories. When I was young (I'm still young AT HEART!!) I, along with my "friends," would routinely drive drunk and had several accidents to prove it!! Almost no one was hurt but the fact remained that what I did was wrong. Those were "different" times.

My earliest memories of my mother were of her learning how to drive and how she fought her "driving nerves" with my father's homemade whiskey. But these are "different times" and my mother would probably be in jail if she hadn't been dead these last fifty years.

Putting my nice memories aside for a second, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Paul Berton's article on booze and the New Year. While drinking during New Year's Eve warms the body, the blood spilt is also warm but is no longer in the body. We should all think about that this upcoming "eve" and put a cork in it!!!

-Melvin Zdarsky

No comments: